Redesign Progress: Nursery

Since I posted the mood board for baby Ruby's nursery we've made a lot of progress. We're both really happy with how the room is coming along, in fact at least once a day one of us pokes a head into the nursery and marvels at the fact that it's now the nicest room in the apartment. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do for a space, and I'm really happy with how all of the furniture looks together. The only major piece missing is the glider (it was on back order from Target, then got cancelled altogether, so now I need to choose a different one), and then it's all just DIY and art projects, as well as filling in shelves and baskets with all sorts of adorable baby things.

As a refresher, here's an awful photo of the room when it was Grant's office:


And here's how the room is coming along:


We painted all of the walls Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace and one accent wall in chalkboard paint. It really served to brighten the entire room and I'm loving the color scheme throughout. Grant wired up that chandelier (found at Urban Outfitters) and it gives off a warm, suffused gold light. (Our landlord is coming sometime soon to cap that radiator pole and get rid of that unsightly black at the top.)


The dresser is serving as the changing table (the changing pad cover I got is an adorable gold, gray and pink star pattern by aden + anais that's subtle enough not to conflict with any of the other patterns going on in the room). That tray was on clearance at Target and will house all of the changing products that we need accessible. It's also home to that adorable gold bulldog. I found that on super markdown at Urban Outfitters for $10 and it's actually a speaker that plugs into any iPhone or iPod. One of my favorite buys. 


We left the foldout sleeper couch in the room as another option for seating. My hope is that I'll be able to successfully breastfeed, but just because I'm doing feedings doesn't mean that I want to be doing them alone. Grant and the dogs can hang out in the room with me. And if I have a particularly restless night, I can just crash in the nursery instead of walking back and forth from our bedroom. And look at those curtains (found at Target). Just a hint of gold for that side of the room. 


We had this bar (originally from IKEA) in our kitchen, hanging on the wall to house all of our larger utensils. Because we took it down off the wall I decided to use it in the room for extra storage and to show off some of her tiniest, cutest little clothes. Honestly, I've said it before and I'll say it again: There is nothing in the world cuter than little girls' clothes. 


 The crib sheet we got is from Land of Nod. It has a whimsical fairytale pattern and brings in the gray found in the rug and other places throughout the room. Even though it's a pretty bold pattern, I think that it plays well with the pattern on the changing pad cover since that one's so subtle. That elephant was a Valentine's Day gift from Daddy to Ruby. She's the cutest thing in the room until we get to meet baby.


We plan to fill these shelves above the couch with books, toys and artwork. There are also a couple small storage options up there for smaller items that we don't want floating around and getting lost. That gold banner was on seasonal clearance from Christmas from Land of Nod, and does a nice job of bringing a hint of gold to that side of the room.


That dresser is my favorite piece of furniture in the room. It's a Malm from IKEA, which is much more modern than my personal taste, but with some tweaks I made it look opulent and classic. The black mold-work was an order from O'verlays. They come in white, so I just painted them with black acrylic paint that I had on-hand and superglued them to the drawer fronts. Then I added the gold hardware (found for super cheap at IKEA) and voila, high-end dresser for a low-end price! I also want to make note of that lamp, which Grant picked out all by himself. I knew that I wanted a gold lamp, but everything else that I looked at was too clunky or too gaudy. Because this is clear, its size isn't overwhelming. I also like that the pattern plays well with the pattern of the tray to its left and brings another luxe element to the room. 



This corner will serve as her play area. We picked up a couple faux sheepskin throws from IKEA for the floor and grabbed a couple of baskets while we were at it. These will, hopefully, corral the toys that she has. The shelf itself isn't quite finished. We'll be adding more shelves after I'm done papering the back of the unit, and this will provide even more storage for our little girl. 


We love what's happening in the room so far! We're probably about halfway done, which is a great place to be at 24 weeks along. A lot of this stuff will be filled in after the baby shower, when we know what we're getting from others and what we need to buy ourselves. Ahhh, it's getting so real!

Nursery To Do List: 

Mount TV on wall
Hide cable box/electronics
Wallpaper back of shelves
Add shelves to unit
Buy/add art to floating shelves
Paint/add empty frames to chalkboard walls
Choose glider
Assemble glider
Add wallpaper to oversized frames
Mount custom oil paintings above crib
Add drawer organizers
Organize closet


Leave a Response