2014 Oscars Best Dressed


The 86th Annual Oscars were last night. I wasn't planning on watching (I care less and less about who wins because I never agree, and I can just look at the pretty things on the internet the next day), but I couldn't get comfortable so I ended up catching most of it. Ellen DeGeneres hosted and was typically affable. She tried to get all of the movie stars to eat pizza, which was great. The only one I actually saw eat something was Jennifer Lawrence, which is why I love her. 

On the red carpet, ladies continued the year-long obsession with nude, cream and white. Quite frankly, it's getting boring. If it was up to me, I'd ban side-swept soft curls, column silhouettes and cream altogether. I suppose that the Academy Awards demand a bit more tradition than the Emmy's, but I got so excited about the shift in fashion. Hopefully the next awards show will have a few more bold choices. 

What I liked were well-put together looks that married classic cuts with polished hair and makeup. Here are my top picks for the night:

Cate Blanchett is nothing if not dependable. Hers was probably the most classically Old Hollywood of all of the ensembles that I chose, but I don't begrudge her it. She's been working a more classic look this awards season, but given the fact that she's traditionally a risk-taker who pulls over avant garde looks with ease, I'll let her be. Her nude, embroidered Giorgio Armani gown topped off with a blonde wavy bob was giving major Grace Kelley. If the dress had been strapless--as I think most designers would have done--it would have bored me, but the invisible skaters neckline added another level of drama to this sweet look.

Drama and glamour were on hand with Charlize Theron's bold black Dior gown. The deep plunge of the neckline looks to flay up into spiked cups, but there are actually nude straps on the dress, which makes the whole look less severe. Helping to soften things are the sheer inlays in the skirt, and the nude, romantic makeup.

I LOVE this dress. When Jennifer Garner walked onstage to present an award, her fringe tassels swayed back and forth in perfect motion. I usually don't like a platform lift on a heel, but I think it modernizes the very Downton Abbey look of her Oscar de la Renta shift, without taking away from the fun factor of the whole look. Also, is anyone prettier than Jennifer Garner? I think not.

If I had to make a list of most fashionable celeb, Kelly Osbourne probably wouldn't even spring to mind. But the sleek line of this white Badgley Mischka column gown topped with an embroidered and embellished capelet is pretty much perfection. I immediately thought of Jennifer Lopez's Zuhair Murad gown at the 2011 Golden Globes, but this number is so much classier. The white plays off of her purple hair perfectly, and the while look manages to do the impossible: slimming a woman in white.

I want to give Kerry Washington an award for even attempting those heels at this point in her pregnancy. Once your bump gets this big, it's hard to find anything remotely flattering. Anything that shows off the bump also shows off your expanding behind, expanding thighs, expanding hips, and, well, you get the picture. This purple Jason Wu gown utilizes draping perfectly to highlight her burgeoning bump and hide other areas she might not want to show Romantic curls and blood red lips and nails complete the look.

Lupita Nyong'o has nailed it this awards season. Every look as been head-to-toe perfection, and last night was no exception. The Oscar-winner has been donning lots of column and shift dresses, so this sky blue Prada gown was a welcome change. The belt placed at her natural waist separates a DEEP plunging neckline (more sweet than sexy given her chest size) and flowing layers of chiffon. The look was topped off with a cute headband, which further served to soften the overall ensemble.

Sarah Paulson is quickly becoming on of my fashion favorites. On most other people this long-sleeved, column Elie Saab would have been overwhelming, especially in my beloved cream. But on Sarah, whose sleek bob modern bob and brown smoky eyes update the look, even the overall embellishment doesn't weigh her down. All hail the new Supreme. 

And my favorite overall look of the night goes to Kate Hudson. It's white and satin, which is ballsy as hell, but the gathered rouching at the waist, which continues up into the deep-V bust makes it more figure flattering and more visually interesting. The gown alone would have been Halston realness,  but the addition of a cape (with shoulder pads!) made this Versace number over-the-top '70s sexy. Kate's smoky eye and simple hair serve to let the gown shine. 

Leave a Response