2013 Emmy's Best Dressed


Last night was one of my favorite nights of the year... the Emmy's! Those who know me know that I watch more television than anyone you'll ever meet, so this is basically my Super Bowl/Halloween/Christmas all rolled into one. And as much as I tune in to see my favorite shows rewarded (and snubbed), I'm also there for the fashion.

This year women seemed to move away from the nods to Old Hollywood glamour that have filled red carpets for the past few awards seasons and took the 90s explosion right into gowns. Feminine pinks and reds worked right alongside this years black and white trend, and many of the gowns would have looked just as at home resting on the macrobiotic-fed, Yoga-toned bods of 90s It-Girls like Gwyneth Paltrow, Winona Ryder and Lara Flynn Boyle.

I'm excited about this shift in red carpet glam. I love a good Hayworth wave, but new silhouettes and bold patterns (not to mention more than a few adorable bobs) make watching the pre-show so much more fun! Without further ado, here are my top 10 dresses for the night.

Christina Hendricks looked drop-dead gorgeous in a custom made Christian Siriano gown. The designer has become her go-to red carpet glam solution, and it's no surprise she keeps going back. The Mad Men actress said that the Project Runway winner constructs his gowns so well that she does even need to wear a bra--as a lady with an ample chest, I can tell you that is a feat. Christina's flirty curls make me want to chop all of my hair off and never look back.

I'm seeing big things in House of Cards' Kristen Connolly. I absolutely loved her in Cabin in the Woods (the best horror movie to come out in the last 10 years), and she shut it down at the Emmy's. Her Nicholas Oakwell long-sleeved gown sported a deco-inspired pattern and a slight bell sleeve. The sheer quality of the fabric helped to make this completely-covered-up look sexy and young.

This was the first pink look on the carpet that I feel in love with. This column gown suits Colbie Smoulders' body perfectly. Her athletic build and small bust look amazing in this J. Mendel gown. Could I do without her mom hair? Yes. Is her monastic makeup perfect for his feminine look? Yes. We'll call that about even.  

True story: Jane Fonda wore this Escada gown over a series of episodes of Newsroom and my husband got annoyed with the amount of times I said, "That is an amazing dress." Then I saw HBIC Jessica Lange pop up with it on the Emmy's red carpet and fell in love all over again. The feather detailing and subtle sparkle are perfectly offset by the black circle skirt. Jessica proves that looking fab has no age limit. 

Elizabeth Moss is rocking two of the season's huge trends: color blocking and black and white. This Andrew Gn might have been boring if not for the all-over beading on both the top and bottom. Elizabeth's bold red lip (and matching nails, natch), as well as her hip blonde cut help to steer the look away from boring and old.

A few awards seasons ago it seemed like every actress was donning Armani Prive. This year only one did--but she did it beautifully. Claire Danes' look was suited perfectly for her slight frame: the 20s drop waist, extremely deep V-nick, spaghetti straps and delicate lace all work on her, as does her tucked-under faux bob. Have I mentioned that I want to cut all of my hair off?

Michelle Dockery has quickly emerged as one-to-watch on the red carpet. She always takes a risk and (much like her character on Downton Abbey) always knows exactly what to wear to compliment her figure. Another color block look, this grand-skirt-and-halter-top Prada boasts a surprising color combo (why not, it's fall?!) and a peekaboo show cut in front. See also: Pllleeeeassseee let me cut my hair!

Kate Mara's J. Mendel dress might be my favorite of the night. I love a risk taker on the red carpet, and this family always takes a risk. But here sis Rooney would probably have chosen the gown in black and swathed her eyes in charcoal liner, Kate chose to go bright white, right down to her tips and toes, and lighted the look overall. Her shoes (with their see-through plastic strap) are right on trend and the basket weave on her sheer pop might just be the new Stella McCartney polka dot. 

Let's talk about Orange is the New Black's Taylor Schilling. Her Netflix show is so buzzy that it's not even eligible for nomination this year but she already wore a custom-made Thakoon gown. The halter top (and spaghetti straps) are back for better or for worse... but when you look like this, it's definitely better. Perfectly cut, especially in that slit up the front of the dress, this gown marks the beginning of a lot of good things for Taylor.

Rose Byrne is serving 90s realness in this Calvin Klein Collection two-piece ensemble. The dewey pink was the color of the night on the carpet and complemented her new blonde 'do perfectly. Another halter top, another circle skirt, another romantic pink face. Ladies, this might have been the best put-together ensemble of the night. 

Leave a Response