Bump Update: 18 Weeks


I had every intention of taking a picture every single week... but you know, life gets in the way. The past month has been one of expansion. Just look at the size of that bump! I'm only 5-foot-5, but I have disproportionately long legs for my height, so my torso is about as short as someone between 5-foot and 5-foot-2. Have you ever seen someone that short pregnant? No space to grow but out! It's so exciting for me to watch my body grow and change--to be honest with you I never realize how big the bump is until I see it in pictures. This is the best relationship I've ever had with my body, and I can't thank this baby enough for the joy that (s)he has brought us in so many ways.



Eating has gotten a little better! I no longer detest most foods... I'm just indifferent about eating. It's made making healthy choices when I'm constantly hungry a whole lot easier. The big news this week is that we went to our 18-week appointment and found out the sex of the baby! We're keeping it a secret until my baby shower (which my sister and very best friends have graciously volunteered to throw for me), so it can be a surprise for everyone. This way I can get the nursery ready and we can still have the surprise element we wanted in the beginning. The other big relief this week is that Grant and I toured St. Luke's-Roosevelt hospital, my dream hospital, and it was everything I'd hoped it would be. We've been dealing with major insurance issues that are too detailed to describe here (Grant is my hero and the best dad for spending at least 70 hours on the phone with insurance companies through this whole process), and it's been stressing us out a lot. At one point we didn't think St. Luke's would be an option and toured a different hospital... it was awful and made me really nervous about the whole birth process. At St. Luke's (so long as it's medically viable) I'll get to deliver in a birthing suite and enjoy a very low degree of intervention. We have nothing but positive things to say about the infrastructure, staff, philosophy and set-up of the hospital after our tour.



The dogs are dealing with the impending new addition in very different ways, which are totally reflective of their personalities. Homer is sad and confused about why he can't sleep on top of, and command 100 percent of, mommy. Charlie seems to be more aware that something is happening and is even more vigilant about guarding me around the house. He's constantly at my side, even choosing to spend time with me over Daddy, which is quite a change for both of us.



Leave a Response